The Council is the highest decision-making structure and is constituted by the following trade union parties:
- National Education Health and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU);
- Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA);
- Public Servants Association (PSA);
- Health and Other Service Personnel Trade Union of South Africa (HOSPERSA); and
- National Union of Public Service and Allied Workers (NUPSAW).
Clause 12 of the constitution of the Council sets the criteria for the appointments of representatives and their alternates. In terms of clause 12.2 the trade unions in the Council may each be represented by two representatives for the first ten thousand (10 000) members, then one (1) additional representative for every additional twenty thousand (20 000) members, or part thereof, up to a maximum of five (5) representatives. The table below indicates the audited membership figures as calculated in December 2016.
Membership Figures as at 31 December 2016
|Union||Number of Members at 31 December 2016||Vote Weights Percentage at 31 December 2016||Number of Representatives|
|DENOSA(SAMA, PAWUSA, SASAWU)||80146
The Employer delegation is the equivalent of the total number of representatives of the trade union parties and is drawn from government departments of health and social development at provincial and national levels.